DID YOU KNOW?
Speeding is the main cause of death and serious injury on Waikato’s roads
- 25% of all fatal and serious injury crashes in the Waikato region are speed related
- Waikato + male + speed = 79% of all fatal and serious regional crashes
- The faster you travel the less time you have to respond to hazards
- Increased impact speed = increased forces which you need to absorb in a crash
- The speed limit is the maximum legal speed that you can travel at on a road in perfect conditions
- A 5% reduction in your speed is equal to a 10% decrease in crashes
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO REDUCE THE RISK?
- Judge the safest speed for the stretch of road you are on within the speed limit
- A reduced speed is required on winding roads, sharp corners, steep gradients and gravel surfaces
- As road conditions worsen, reduce your speed so that you remain in control
- Promote safe driving amongst your friends and family
- When buying a new vehicle look for a vehicle with good handling and ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) offering better road holding and greater driver responsiveness
- Become a role model for your children – they learn from your driving habits